Sunday, September 6, 2009

Swifty Reviews '20th Century Boys: Chapter 2 - The Last Hope


I made sure I was able to catch a film in Tokyo when I went back, and I ended up seeing 20TH CENTURY BOYS: CHAPTER 2 - THE LAST HOPE, the second film of the planned trilogy directed by Yukihiko Tsutsumi. I saw the first film last September, which I rather enjoyed despite its flaws (read my review).

Set 15 years after the events in the first film, the protagonist of this film is the now-adult Kanna, played by Taira Airi, whose hairstyle in the film made me gape in awe


I had wondered whether she was wearing a wig, or the hair stylists really spent hours styling her hair. Of course, aside from her hair, and her good looks, Taira Airi is quite decent as an actress, even though she spends most of the film angry, angsty and morose, all because of her missing uncle Kenji (Toshiaki Karasawa). She gave a solid performance, and I don't think she's acted off the screen by her much more-established and experienced co-stars. I'm actually quite surprised, considering the fact that she's relatively a newcomer. Jason Gray had predicted the birth of a star
, I might actually agree. (It's just a pity that she doesn't seem to be given much to do in the script)